Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Best Greek Poem? ~ Is there one?

Some of my friends from Greece that know my sometimes passionate reciting of Greek poems and my love for Greek poetry have asked me this: "What is the Best Greek Poem"?

This is a tough call. With so many Greek poets which one could possibly be the best? Solomos, Kalvos, Seferis, Elytis, Kavafy, Karyotakis, Kavvadias, Sikelianos, Sinopoulos... to name a few of my favorites...

The closest to my heart would have to be the first Ode of Kalvos, namely 'o Φιλοπατρις' and that's probably because it was written in London where I am currently residing while missing what I consider to be my home, Zakynthos.

However, there is another. And this one is deeply within my heart as well coming from George Seferis and titled 'Eρωτικός Λόγος'.

The Greek version can be found below:
http://www.sarantakos.com/seferis/erotik_logos.htm

And you may ask: What is the purpose of this? Why is this blog in English afterall if I am talking about Greek Poetry and referring to Greek URLs and give the titles in Greek?

Simple: Capture Two audiences and point to some nice poetry even to those that do not speak a word of Greek. Most of our poets are anyway translated in many languages, and especially Seferis and Elytis that have won the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Regards,
Dionisis @ London, 27 April, 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home